About the PTC Rebate
Many Coloradans may be eligible for the Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit rebate, also known as the "PTC Rebate," which is available every year. It has been available to Colorado residents since 1971. You may qualify for the PTC Rebate if you are a full-year Colorado resident, 65 years of age or older, or a surviving spouse 58 years of age or older, OR disabled, regardless of age. The actual rebate total is based on the applicant's income and expenses.
Any Colorado resident who meets the requirements listed below for the rebate should submit the rebate application DR 0104PTC. Once you complete the application you can bring the application to a Colorado Department of Revenue Taxpayer Service Center or send it in by mail to:
- Resided in Colorado the entire year.
- Are lawfully present in the United States. Persons who are 18 years of age or older and are applying for a public benefit such as PTC must prove lawful presence in the United States.
- Income levels for single and married persons change each year. See the PTC rebate application booklet. You have two years after the end of a calendar year to apply for the rebate. Make sure you submit all 3 pages, plus affidavit or your rebate will be delayed or denied.
- You (or your spouse, if filing jointly) are 65 or older by Dec. 31, or are a surviving spouse at least 58 years old by Dec. 31.
- You were disabled for the entire year, regardless of age.
- You are not claimed as a dependent on any other person's federal income tax return.
2021 Application Rebate Dates
The Colorado PTC Rebate is paid on a set schedule based on when your application is processed. This payment schedule is set and cannot be changed, except that any processing or payment dates that fall on the weekend will instead happen on the next business day. We recommend that you file in January or early February. For faster delivery of your rebate, we recommend that you sign up for Direct Deposit. Please review the application/payment chart below. Please, do not call prior to these dates.
|Application Received, Approved, and Processed Before||Direct Deposit Payment Dates||Paper Check Payment Dates||Amount of Each Installment Payment||Number of Equal Installments|
|March 10, 2022||April 5, 2022||April 15, 2022||1/4 of total rebate||4|
|June 10, 2022||July 5, 2022||July 15, 2022||1/3 of total rebate||3|
|September 10, 2022||October 5, 2022||October 15, 2022||1/2 of total rebate||2|
|December 10, 2022||January 5, 2023||January 15, 2023||Full rebate||1|
|December 31, 2023||10 Weeks after receipt||12 weeks after receipt||Full rebate||1|
Rebate Dates for Prior Year Applications - If filing a prior year rebate application, please see the booklet for that specific rebate year for the appropriate rebate dates.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for the PTC Rebate?
If you have received rebates for the last two years, you can file a PTC application online instead of on paper. Please note, you will need a valid email address to complete an application online.
- Visit Revenue Online
- Click on "File a PTC Rebate Application" in the box labeled "File a Return or PTC Form"
- Select the year you are filing for and click "Continue"
- If you meet the eligibility requirements listed above, click "Next" in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Complete the Demographics Information (labeled Step 2 in Revenue Online): answer the questions, fill in any requested information, and click "Next" in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Complete the Application information (labeled Step 3): answer the questions, fill in any requested information, and click "Next" in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Provide your direct deposit information for the rebate (labeled Step 4) and click "Next" in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Complete the Affidavit (labeled Step 5) and click "Next" in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Verify your information (labeled Step 6) and click "Submit" in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements listed above, visit the PTC Rebate Forms web page.
- Download/print the DR 0104PTC for the tax year you are filing for.
- Complete the DR 0104PTC (instructions are on the form).
- Include any requested documentation with your DR 0104PTC.
- You can either visit a Taxpayer Service Center to submit it in person or you can mail your application to: Colorado Department of Revenue, Denver, CO 80261-0005
How do I get FREE PTC Rebate application assistance?
- During the month of January, the Taxpayer Service Centers provide assistance with PTC applications in person. Go to the Visit a Taxpayer Service Center web page for information on how to make an appointment.
- Free assistance for low-income people with completing the PTC application and Colorado income tax forms through Denver Asset Building Coalition.
Note: If you need help filing your individual income tax return, additional community organizations are available to help with filing your tax return. Visit the Community Tax Help web page for more information.
How do I check my PTC Rebate application status?
- Go to Revenue Online.
- In the "Where's My Refund?" box, click on "Colorado Property Tax, Rent and Heat Rebate (PTC)" .
- On the next screen, enter your Social Security number.
- On the same page, also enter your PTC Rebate amount or your Letter ID number.
- The rebate amount you enter should be the amount of the current installment that you are expecting, not the full rebate amount for the year.
- Your Letter ID number can be found on a letter from the Department, if you received one. It begins with the letter L, then has numbers after it. Enter the full number, including the "L."
- Note: The system will not show your full rebate amount. It will only show the status of your most current rebate installment.