Additional Refund Information
Change Refund Address
The U.S. Postal Service will forward paper check tax refunds when a forwarding mailing address has been submitted. However, if you did not submit a forwarding address with USPS, a paper check must be reissued with your correct address. You must call our Tax Information Call Center at 303-238-7378 to start the process.
Lost, Missing or Destroyed Refund Check
- Missing: Did you use the correct mailing address when you filed the return? Check the status of your refund and your address by visiting Revenue Online.
- Lost: You can request that the original refund be voided and a new refund be issued. Follow the Reissue Process below.
- Damaged/Destroyed: You can request that the original refund be voided and a new refund be issued. Follow the Reissue Process below.
Reissue Process for Missing, Lost or Destroyed Refunds
You can start the refund check reissue process by signing a refund reissue letter. Request the letter through 303-238-SERV (7378)
Colorado Department of Revenue
Income Tax Section
PO Box 17087
Denver, CO 80217-0087
Identity Verification & Validation Key
In the best interest of all our taxpayers, the Colorado Department of Revenue implements measures to detect and prevent identity theft-related refund fraud. Fraud detection, along with verification that claims made on an individual income tax return are valid and the documentation is submitted with the returns, are part of the process of ensuring the return is correct and complete and that taxpayers receive the refund amount to which they are entitled. Please be aware that these measures, meant to ensure state tax dollars are going to the right person, could delay individual income tax refunds up to 60 days beyond the time frames of prior years.
To verify your identity, the Department may request the following:
- Validation Key: the Department has a "Validation Key" process where information will be requested to be entered on Revenue Online to validate their Colorado refund. Visit the Identity Verification web page for more information.
- Copy of Driver License or ID
- Copy of a document containing your name and address
- Copy of W-2(s) and/or 1099(s) claiming Colorado tax withholding
- Refund Amount
Revenue Online is the fastest, safest and most secure means to upload requested documents.
How to Help Ensure Your Refund is Processed Quickly
Read filing instructions carefully and ensure a return is complete and correct to the extent possible. This includes filling out all forms completely, double-checking calculations, attaching all relevant documentation and ensuring sensitive information such as Social Security numbers and bank routing and account number is thorough and accurate.
Double-check a return before submitting to determine all information is included and accurate. Pay particular attention to the following fields:
- Phone Number
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number or ITIN
- Driver License or ID Number (if requested)
- Employer ID Number on W-2 document(s)
- Bank Account Information (Routing Number/Account Number)