All prior active Colorado sales tax licenses expired on December 31, 2021. A sales tax license is required in order to collect and remit sales tax that is collected by the Colorado Department of Revenue.
- Renewed licenses will be valid for a two-year period that began on January 1, 2020. Each physical location must have its own license and pay a $16 renewal fee. If you applied for and received your sales tax license prior to January 1, 2020, you still must renew for the new two-year period.
- The last sales tax renewal period ended on 12/31/2019. If your company did not renew before January 1, 2020, your sales tax license is now expired and must be renewed immediately. For the fastest renewal possible, licenses should be renewed online using Revenue Online. Instructions for renewing online are below.
Renew Using Revenue Online
Before You Renew
Before renewing, verify your open locations through Revenue Online:
- Access "Business Location Rates" in Revenue Online under "View Sales Rates and Taxes."
- Enter your sales tax Colorado Account Number (CAN) to view all of your open locations/sites.
- Close any locations/sites that are no longer open. To close a site in a jurisdiction where you no longer sell, rent or lease, send an email requesting a site closure to email@example.com and include the following information:
- Colorado Account Number and site number. The number will be in this format: XXXXXXXX-XXXX.
- Final date business was transacted within that jurisdiction
- Name and contact information of the person requesting the closure
How to Renew
Sales Tax License Renewals may be completed through Revenue Online. Make sure you log into your account. Simply making a payment will not renew the license. If you have not created a Login ID, create a sales tax account before you need to renew.
- Log into your Revenue Online account.
- Within the Sales Tax License/Renewal Box on your home screen, click on File Return
- Remove instruction OR change to “Review this next screen then click Next to move forward.”
- Review all locations you are looking to renew for and ensure the box is checked for those locations you wish to renew. You can pay for each license ($16) through e-check or credit card. Using Revenue Online will also provide you with an email confirmation and a list of sites you renewed. There is no need to send the paper renewal application if you renew through Revenue Online.
- Review the summary page and then click Submit to get to the payment options and a printable view of the submission.
Renew Using Electronic Funds Transfer
You may also renew through Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). The EFT payment represents the renewal form and payment in one transaction. Paying your license renewal by EFT fulfills the requirement of filing a license renewal application. Visit the EFT webpage to renew.
When renewing by EFT, you do not need to send us a paper form, because that will cause a duplicate filing.
Renew Using a Paper Form
Complete and mail or take the Renewal Application for Sales Tax License (DR 0594) to any Taxpayer Service Center. Be sure to include a check or money order with your renew. The renewal license fee is $16 for each physical location. If you have more than one sales location, each location must have a license.