All active Colorado sales tax licenses will expire on December 31, 2021. A sales tax license is used for collecting and remitting sales tax that is collected by the Colorado Department of Revenue.
- Renewed licenses will be valid for a two-year period that began on January 1, 2020. Each physical location must have its own license and pay a $16 renewal fee. If you applied for and received your sales tax license prior to January 1, 2020, you still must renew for the new two-year period.
- The last sales tax renewal period ended on 12/31/2019. If your company did not renew before January 1, 2020, your sales tax license is now expired and must be renewed immediately. For the fastest renewal possible, licenses should be renewed online using Revenue Online. Instructions for renewing online are below.
Before renewing, verify your open locations through Revenue Online:
- Access "Business Location Rates" in Revenue Online under "View Sales Rates and Taxes."
- Enter your sales tax Colorado Account Number (CAN) to view all of your open locations/sites.
- Close any locations/sites that are no longer open. To close a site in a jurisdiction where you no longer sell, rent or lease, send an email requesting a site closure to email@example.com and include the following information:
- account number and site (XXXXXXXX-XXXX)
- final date business was transacted within that jurisdiction
- the name and contact information of the person requesting the closure
Renew Using Revenue Online
- Sales Tax License Renewals may be completed through Revenue Online. Make sure you log into to your account. You must login to renew the license. Simply making a payment will not renew the license. If you have not created a Login ID, create one before you need to renew. Log into your Revenue Online account:
- Click on "License Renewal" under the Accounts heading.
- Select "12/31/19" and follow the prompts to renew your license(s).
- You can pay for each license ($16) through e-check or credit card. Using Revenue Online will also provide you with an email confirmation and a list of sites you renewed. There is no need to send the paper renewal application if you renew through Revenue Online.
- You may also renew through Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Paying your license renewal by EFT fulfills the requirement of filing a license renewal application. Visit the EFT webpage to renew.
Renew Using a Paper Form
Complete and mail or take the Renewal Application for Sales Tax License (DR 0594) to any Taxpayer Service Center. Sales tax licenses may also be renewed through Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). When renewing by EFT, you do not need to send us the DR 0594 form because that can cause a duplicate filing. The EFT payment represents the renewal form and payment in one transaction. The renewal license fee of $16 is for each location. If you have more than one sales location, each location must have a license. If you do not renew, you will receive a delinquency notice for $16.