Excise & Fuel Tax Payment

Additional Balance Due After Filing Return

After filing your tax return, if you receive a bill for additional balance due, you should remit payment via EFT, or mail a check/money order along with a payment voucher enclosed with the Statement of Account. For questions, contact the Excise Tax Unit by sending a web message through your Revenue Online account, or call 303-205-6848 or 303-205-6879.

Payment Options

Both Liquor excise tax and IFTA excise tax can be paid by check/money order or electronic funds transfer. Fuel Distributor, Cigarette, and Tobacco Product excise tax can only be paid by electronic funds transfer (EFT). Marijuana excise tax may be paid by cash, check/money order, or EFT. For information on Retail Marijuana Sales Tax, visit the Retail Marijuana Sales Tax web page. See below for additional information on each payment method.

Payment Methods

Check or Money Order

If you wish to pay by check or money order, be sure to:
  • Make the check or money order payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue.
  • Write the Colorado Account Number (CAN) for the IFTA account on the check. Include the filing period dates and the type of excise tax paid in the memo portion of the check.


If paying via EFT or check/money order is not an option, some tax types can be paid with cash. DO NOT send cash through the mail. Cash payments can only be made at the Pierce Street Department of Revenue Location (inside the DMV - Entrance A). Visit the Cash Payments web page for more information.

Electronic Funds Transfer

Payment may be made through Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). To make payments through EFT, complete the Authorization for Electronic Funds Transfer for Tax Payments (DR 5785). The DR 5785 form can be printed from the Forms in Number Order web page.