The Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Taxation, is hosting a workgroup meeting on February 22, 2024, at 10 a.m. to study the Colorado Child Care Contribution Credit (credit) pursuant to House Bill 23-1091. The Department is required to develop recommendations regarding:
- Improvements to the structure, oversight, and administration of the credit;
- Mechanisms to inform taxpayers and eligible child care facilities and programs about the availability of the credit;
- The credit’s equitable promotion of child care in all communities; and
- Allowing donations of in-kind real property to qualify as an eligible contribution to promote child care.
The Department will hold a total of three workgroup meetings for this study:
- January 23, 2024 – We discussed the background and current administration of the credit, including aspects of the credit’s structure and the Department’s oversight and administration that are working well and that could be improved.
- February 22, 2024 – We will discuss whether the credit equitably promotes child care in all communities of the state and seek suggestions to improve the credit’s equity and visibility.
- March 27, 2024 – We will discuss the viability of donations of in-kind real property and how the administration of these donations could work.
The second workgroup meeting will take place on February 22, 2024, at 10 a.m. at 1881 Pierce Street, Entrance B, Room 110, Lakewood, CO 80214. Entrance B is on the west side of the building at the northern end. The workgroup meeting will also be available virtually. Please register to participate virtually if you’d like to participate in that format. The Department has created a Virtual Workgroup Guide that provides additional guidance for virtual participants. More information on how to participate in the workgroup is discussed below.
The agenda for the work group can be found here.
What is a workgroup?
This workgroup is a forum for the Department to gather information from the public and individuals who have knowledge of the issues being discussed to help develop the Department’s recommendations regarding the Colorado Child Care Contribution Credit. The workgroup participants will be asked to provide their input and insight, along with constructive feedback and suggestions, in an open discussion format.
How to participate?
Attend the workgroup meeting scheduled for February 22, 2024, at 10 a.m. People willing to share their knowledge on the workgroup topic are encouraged to attend and participate.
This workgroup meeting has the option to participate virtually using the Zoom platform. If you would like to participate virtually, please register to participate virtually. If a workgroup member chooses to participate virtually, video conferencing equipment and an adequate Internet connection, are recommended but not required (participation by video is optional). Connecting through the Zoom website or desktop client offers additional features than the phone conferencing options. Participants may choose to leave their cameras off.
Workgroup meetings are recorded and may be reviewed afterward by those who are unavailable at the scheduled meeting time. The workgroup recording will be made available in the HB23-1091 Public Workgroup File shortly after the conclusion of the meeting. Workgroup materials will also be posted to the file.
People wishing to attend or participate by teleconference should connect as follows:
Phone Number: 1 (669) 900-6833
Meeting ID: 830 3329 8843
- Submit comments regarding the Child Care Contribution Credit by 5:00 p.m. on February 22, 2024. Prior to commenting, review the related statute, the existing rule, the existing guidance publication, the Child Care Contribution Tax Credit Certificate (DR 1317), and House Bill 23-1091. Then provide feedback or input on how to improve the credit’s equity and visibility. All feedback is welcome, but the most useful feedback includes as much specificity as possible. Comments should be submitted by email to DOR_TaxPolicy@state.co.us. Written comments are encouraged even if you can attend the workgroup meeting. Comments received will be made available in the HB23-1091 Public Workgroup File.