All State Offices will be closed on Monday, October 2, in observance of Frances Xavier Cabrini Day.


Oil & Gas Severance Tax | Filing Information

    If you are unable to complete your severance tax return by the filing deadline and you estimate that you will owe severance tax, you can request a six month extension by filing an Extension of Time for Filing a Colorado Oil & Gas Severance Tax Return (DR 0021S). This form is just an extension of time for filing your return and is not an extension of time for paying your severance tax. If no balance of severance tax is due, an extension for filing is not required.
    A change/correction on your return must be reported on the Amended Colorado Oil & Gas Severance Tax Return (DR 0021X).
    You also must complete and attach to your severance tax return the below forms:
    You may need to submit additional forms with your DR 0021 depending on your unique tax situation.
    • For a full list of severance tax forms, visit the Severance Tax Forms page.
    • If you have questions about how to file a severance tax return, call the Taxpayer Helpline at (303) 238-7378.